OK, I know this dish sounds a little “crunchy”, and I’ll admit is quite earthy, but cooking with wild foods is so fun! Besides the healing qualities of nettles and dandelion, sweet potatoes are one of the best complex carbohydrate foods to bring sweetness and satisfaction to a meal. Besides harvesting your nettles and dandelion roots, this meal is easy to throw in the oven and combine with a protein such as the Elk and Nettle Meatloaf Muffins.
Preheat oven to 365 degrees
- I large sweet potato, chopped
- 6 small dandelion roots, washed well, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 cup nettles, blanched and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- juice of half a lemon
- water as needed
Easy peasy instructions:
- Mix all ingredients in a baking dish and combine well.
- Add a small amount of water to bottom of dish as needed to give the dish a bit of steaming
- Finish with lemon juice.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Top with a little bit of melted butter, extra virgin olive oil, or red pepper flakes to give it more of bite.